Saturday, 19 Aug 2017
 
 

The First 100 Years - 1885 - 1985

The Claude West Trophy is played for by people of handicap 15 and over. This trophy was presented to the Club imemory of Claude West, a Director who died at a very early age and had given many lessons in snooker to help other members start the game. Its other name is the Geriatric Trophy.

There are also the Cooper Tankards and the Bill Allin Trophy. These are played for with a new game called volunteer snooker. Giving many members a very happy evening.

The Building

How the building was chosen as the home for the Club, or why the Archdeacon moved out, is not recorded.

Apart from being ideally situated and suitably accommodating it is today, more than ever, appreciated as a very interesting building architecturally and historically.

It is listed as being a Building of Historical Interest along with Pykenham's Gatehouse. Much of our time and resources are spent on maintaining and preserving the building, not only to keep ourselves warm and dry but with a strongly felt social responsibility as custodians of this ancient building.

It was the home of William Pykenham, D.O., Archdeacon of Suffolk. It was a Hall House. A large rectangular room about 30' x 20' with two bays. Sections for the storage of food and possibly a sleeping area above. No firepl,!ces in these buildings, simply a fire on the floor, in the middle of the room, the smoke going out through a hole in the roof. Carbon staining on the original timbers of the roof and the carved crown post verify this belief.

The date was C1471. To give you a time check Christopher Columbus was 20 years old, learning his seamanship.- Some 21 years later he set out to "discover the New World" with the first P&O cruises so popular at that time with the Flat Earth· Society!

In addition to being the house of successive Archdeacons it was the overnight accommodation for circuit judges during Assize week as quoted by J. E. Taylor in 'In and About Ancient Ipswich 1888'

There is no truth in the belief that Dr. Mervyn Gonin lived here, although as a very regular visitor he almost did. In 1884 another medic did use the Pykenham Gatehouse as a house and surgery, one Edward Breck, Esq., M.D.